As this topic ‘Endometriosis-A Medical Dilemma’ is a vast topic and we want to bring understanding to this topic in as simple a language as possible such that it can be easily understood by everyone,we are starting an article series.
The introductory article will give you a glimpse about how will we go about it.
-Endometriosis is a common benign gynecologic disorder defined as the presence of endometrial glands and stroma outside of the normal location.
– The word endometrium means- inner lining of the uterus which gets shed every month during menstruation.
– Endometriosis gives rise to variety of symptoms in women of chiefly reproductive age group.
– In simple language we will explain the causes of endometriosis, its hormone dependence and role of the immune system.
– We will discuss risk factors of endometriosis.
– We will discuss its classification system and anatomic sites where it is present.
– Patient may present with pain of various origins, infertility of various degrees and in advanced cases- intestinal and ureteral obstruction.
– In diagnosis of endometriosis, we will discuss physical examination, lab testing, role of sonography, CT scan, MRI, importance of diagnostic laparoscopy and histopathologic analysis.
– Treatment of endometriosis depends on many factors like severity of symptoms, location of endometriotic lesions and desire to conserve future fertility.
– Medical management of endometriosis requires giving non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, hormones, GnRH agonists and GnRH antagonists.
– The route of surgical treatment can be either laparoscopy or laparotomy. it can include lesion removal and adhesiolysis, endometrioma resection and hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy-
So, friends you do get an idea of what all things we will cover under this topic ‘Endometriosis’.
-In next update of article of this series we will take one of the above listed topics and bring more clarity on that
-Keep a watch on this article itself as a dated update will arrive soon