As this topic ‘Gestational Trophoblastic Disease’ is a vast topic and we want to bring understanding to this topic in as simple a language as possible such that it can be easily understood by everyone,we are starting an article series.The introductory article will give you a glimpse about how will we go about it.
-Gestational trophoblastic disease or GTD refers to a spectrum of interrelated but histologically distinct tumors originating from the placenta.
– These diseases are characterized by a reliable tumors marker beta HCG and have varying tendencies towards local invasion and spread.
-Gestational trophoblastic neoplasia or GTN refers to the subset that develops malignant and cancerous sequelae.
-We will discuss incidence and risk factors of GTD.
– Hydatidiform mole or molar pregnancy is the subset which is benign or non- cancerous in nature.
-It is divided into two complete and partial hydatidiform mole. In this discussion we will see karyotype pattern, microscopic and macroscopic findings and clinical findings.
– Diagnosis of mole is usually done by beta HCG estimation, trans- vaginal sonography and histopathology.
– Management requires suction evacuation of molar pregnancy and post molar surveillance by serial beta HCG level estimation. We will have a discussion on that.
-Gestational trophoblastic neoplasia include
-Placenta like trophoblastic tumor and
-Epithelioid trophoblastic tumor
We will discuss criteria for diagnosis of GTN and their individual features.
– Most GTN cases are clinically diagnosed based on beta HCG levels.Tissue histology is also used.
-After diagnosis patients with GTN undergo thorough pre-treatment assessment including CT scan.
-Staging is done as per Gynaec society and WHO guidelines.
-This disease is divided into non-metastatic and metastatic disease.
– Treatment of GTN is either surgical or with chemotherapy.
-We will also discuss psychological consequences and subsequent pregnancy outcome of this disease.
-So, friends you do get an idea of what all things we will cover under this topic ‘Gestational Trophoblastic Disease’
-In next update of article of this series we will take one of the above listed topics and bring more clarity on that
-Keep a watch on this article itself as a dated update will arrive soon.