Ruptured Ovarian Ectopic Pregnancy- A Rare & Real Life Threatening Case
Dr Himani Gupta
Consulting Gynecologist in Kharghar, Navi Mumbai
-A 24 year old woman, resident of Kamothe (Panvel)- Sector 11, came to OPD for consultation for Abortion tablets,
-She had a living female child of 2.5 years of age by normal delivery. ( G-2,P-1,L-1)
-She had missed her menses and her UPT- Urine Pregnancy Test was positive.
-She has been complaining of on & off menstrual like lower abdomen cramps, which on some moments were severe.
-But she did not start with menses.
-On examination- her lower abdomen was slightly distended.
– Pulse rate was 92/min and BP- 100/70 mm Hg
– As a routine test and precaution before giving abortion pills , Trans-Vaginal ultra sound was performed.
-The findings suggested intra-abdominal free fluid amounting to 700-800 ml
-There was G-Sac ( Gestational sac ) like structure near left ovary which was surrounded by a mass of tissue , which seemed to be attached to left ovary.
-Diagnosis of Ovarian ruptured ectopic pregnancy was suspected as there was a breach in the outer lining of ovary too and adnexal mass was lying just close to that, along with echogenic mass lesion in the ovary (Trophoblastic Tissue).
– She was immediately posted for Laparoscopy by Dr Santosh Jaybhaye , Om Sai Hospital, Kamothe.
– On putting the scope, the first finding that we noted was Haemoperitoneum ( Blood in peritoneal cavity)
– Upon suctioning and cleaning it up, it was then possible to locate ruptured Left ovarian ruptured ectopic pregnancy.
– Mass lesion was resected ( surgically cut ) and Haemostasis ( There is no longer bleeding ) was achieved.
– She required one unit of packed cells blood transfusion intra-operatively and her recovery post operatively was uneventful.
-Following routine safety protocols, timely intervention and availability of blood products saved the life of the woman
-You Can watch the video too by clicking on the following link-