A Copper T is a simple intrauterine device or IUD that is made up of a flexible T-shaped piece of plastic which is wrapped with a thin copper wire. The shape of the Copper T is chosen as it fits perfectly in the uterine cavity, allowing the Copper T to stay in place for a long time, even years without moving.
When the Copper T is inserted, the ends of the ‘T’ are folded and inserted into the patient with a tube that is more straw-like.
How Does Copper -T Work?
- The devise releases Copper ions in the uterine cavity making the endometrium lining hostile for the implantation of embryo.
- This device can also be used as emergency contraception under a Gynaecologist’s supervision.
- The lasting duration of device is of 3 types- 3 years,5 years, 10 years
- Copper-T insertion is an OPD procedure.
- Normal work can be resumed immediately after the insertion.
- It is necessary to have 1 check up with Gynaecologist at 6 monthly intervals.
- Insertion of Copper-T is done towards the last day of the menses.
Dr Himani Gupta, Gynaecologist & Obstetrician at Kharghar, Navi Mumbai who practices at Mother ‘n’ Care Clinic, understands the necessity of proper family planning, birth spacing & birth control and the medical treatments required for it. Therefore, she provides you with numerous birth control options, one of them being the Copper T insertion which is performed with upmost care.