Every woman has a different menstrual cycle. Irregular periods, occurs when someone’s menstrual cycle is shorter than 21 days or longer than 45 days or the duration of the cycle varies frequently. Irregular periods are common for teenage girls. They might have irregular periods for the first few years before they become regular. It may also occur in women during perimenopause.
If you exhibit the below-mentioned symptoms, then you might have irregular periods:
- Menstrual cycle changes too often
- Period before every 21 days or after 45 days to couple of months
- Period lasts more than one week
- Significant pain during periods
- Heavy flow of blood requiring very frequent change of pads
- Very scanty flow lasting only a day or two
- Bleeding in between periods or
- Post coital bleeding (after sex)
Treatment & Procedure
Depending on the diagnoses, your Gynaecologist might recommend one of the following treatments for irregular periods. These may include:
- Lifestyle changes– Your doctor may advise you to change your lifestyle to overcome this problem. You may be advised to do regular exercise. If you are taking too much stress, your doctor will help you learn different ways to cope with stress.
- Hormone therapy (HT)-If your irregular periods are triggered due to hormonal imbalance, your doctor might prescribe certain hormonal pills to control irregular periods.
- Surgery – In some cases, there are structural problems in the uterus that cause irregular periods. Your Gynaecologist may recommend surgery to correct this problem.
- Hormonal IUCD– Devices like Mirena are put in the uterine cavity. It continuously release progesterone hormone inside the uterus which causes shrinkage of the lining of uterus which in turn controls bleeding
Book Your Appointment now at Mother ‘n’ Care Clinic for all your Menstrual Irregularity related problems.